Having a happy and healthy pregnancy is something every mother-to-be wants.
Valerie wanted to stay in great shape as she expected the birth of her child.
Working with a personal trainer helped her to work out safely and effectively, and stay active all through her pregnancy.
Creating a bespoke training plan allowed her to train in a way that was right for her body and prepare her for birth.
“Now at this stage in the pregnancy, even compared to the beginning and even before, I feel very energised.
“I feel happy and overall very good and very confident as I am leading up to the up-coming arrival of this little baby.”
Here she shares her experience of working with a personal trainer and optimising her health and fitness during her pregnancy.
* Results may vary | Results are based on individual circumstances | Timeframes for results are not guaranteed | Willpower is always required!
Did you have any concerns about training while pregnant?
When I first out I was pregnant I decided I wanted to continue training, I was worried about the safety of the baby and just being able to have the strength to continue training.
I also worried about just having the energy and stamina to complete an actual training session.
How did your UP trainer help you create a programme for you that helped you stay fit and healthy throughout your pregnancy?
Initially, I contacted my trainer and worked with her to work through a plan that would be safe for my pregnancy.
I gave her the advice my doctor provided and we worked through a nutrition plan, a health plan and worked with the type of training and exercises that would be safe for me and for my body as I progressed through my pregnancy.
What was the training like with UP?
I found it sufficient challenging. We did modify the training from what we were doing before.
By reducing some of the weight and ensuring I was following along with what my doctor prescribed and also listening to what my body was telling me.
I was making sure I was listening to myself to make sure I avoided any possible injury.
How did it help with your fitness levels?
By training, I’ve been able to continue and maintain the fitness levels I’ve been trying to achieve.
How has the nutrition helped you stay healthy?
The proper nutrition has helped me stay healthy throughout the pregnancy by keeping me nourished properly so I can complete my training sessions and so I have the right energy to sustain all the various activities I have during my day.
Being able to work and get proper sleep is a big benefit. It has been great for helping me get proper sleep even though there are times you might get interrupted sleep here and there.
But getting the proper nutrition does benefit you with your training.
What are the most profound things you’ve learned about diet and nutrition for having a healthy pregnancy?
My diet during this pregnancy hasn’t been very different from prior to the pregnancy. But the biggest thing I had to be mindful of is that I had to be more disciplined of making sure I’m eating on time, eating the proper food so I have enough nutrition to sustain the training as well as feel good throughout the day.
If I miss a meal or a snack or I’m late on eating my meals, I will tend to feel faint or tired and even at times nauseous.
How do you feel now compared to when you first started?
Now at this stage in the pregnancy, even compared to the beginning and even before, I feel very energised. I feel happy and overall very good and very confident as I am leading up to the up-coming arrival of this little baby.
I’m not afraid of the labour and delivery process as I was before.
I feel like I’m going to have the strength to get through that naturally as much as I can.
What would your advice be to other mothers looking to stay healthy during pregnancy?
My advice to other ladies who are pregnant would be:
Work with your trainer on building a plan that is suitable for you. Listen to your doctor, make sure you’re cleared and also listen to what your body is telling you.
Continue to communicate and work through that plan. Sometimes throughout the pregnancy, that plan needs to be adjusted. So communicating and staying in touch with your trainer is very important to be successful.
Be aware that everyone trains differently so the pregnant person next to you may not be training the same as you. Work with your trainer, establish your own goals and work towards them.
Results may vary | Results are based on individual circumstances | Timeframes for results are not guaranteed | Willpower is always required!
- We show you the best, we don't show you the worst.
- We show you people who follow the plans, not those who are all talk.
- We show you those who inspire even us with their commitment to their results.
- You cannot get results exactly like these. You are unique and that means you can only get your own best possible results.
- Your results are a function of time spent following the plan; your genetic response to the right exercise and diet program; how hard you train; how consistently you come to the gym; how disciplined you are with your diet; & your starting point.
- Oftentimes the lower your starting point (poor fitness, terrible body composition) the better your results.
- We cannot do the work for you and the results you see here are a testament to the work ethic of our clients.
- Our reputation is that we are the best trainers in the world for helping you to unlock your potential, & we can lead you to the door, give you the key, even turn the handle and push the door open, but we cannot walk through it for you. In the end the result is down to you.